Theatre Conspiracy creates theatrical events that activate discussion on vital contemporary themes in the international conversation.
Theatre Conspiracy taps the cross-currents of international society, politics and culture to:
- create original work that speaks to international themes;
- interpret the work of acclaimed contemporary, international playwrights;
- explore contemporary world drama in translation;
- curate and produce events where local, national and international artists engage Vancouver audiences
Theatre Conspiracy is committed to enhancing a rich dialogue between our city, the province and the international community. We are committed to working with other arts organizations and community leaders to achieve artistic excellence, engage audiences, raise the profile of theatre and share resources.
UP TO NOW
Theatre Conspiracy was co-founded by Richard Wolfe and Tim Carlson, incorporated in 1995 and is a registered charity.
Production highlights include:
- Premiered original interactive play Foreign Radical – winner of the 2015 Jessie for Critics’ Choice Innovation – in April 2015 at The Cultch.
- Premiered original bilingual (English/Mandarin) documentary play Extraction – winner of the Rio Tinto Alcan Performing Arts Award – in March 2013 at The Cultch
- Co-curated and co-produced the performance platform Club PuSh at the PuSh International Performing Arts Festival in 2009, 2011-2016.
- Commissioned and produced the world English premiere of Heiner Müller’s Macbeth: nach Shakespeare (Carl Weber trans.), in co-production with resident company GasHeart Theatre (2011).
- Collaborated with Progress Lab in producing and performing in the groundbreaking theatre installation events HIVE, HIVE2 (2008, Magnetic North Theatre Festival) and HIVE3 (2010 Cultural Olympiad).
- The world premiere of Tim Carlson’s dystopian thriller, Omniscience (2004), produced in Vancouver, Berlin, Magdeberg, Lisbon and Chicago. Published by Talonbooks (2007) and in German translation by Theatre der Zeit (2008).
- Coproduced David Harrower’s Blackbird with Rumble Productions (winner of outstanding director, actor and actress at Jessie Richardson awards 2009).
- The Canadian premiere of productions including: New Yorker Will Eno’s Pulitzer-nominated Thom Pain (based on nothing), UK dramatist Jez Butterworth’s hilarious rock n roll show, Mojo and Raphael Spregelburd’s Stupidity (La Estupidez). Vancouver premieres of Patrick Marber’s Closer, Joe Penhall’s Blue / Orange and Martin McDonagh’s A Skull in Connemara.
- The North American premiere of Nobel laureate Gao Xingjian’s Fugitives
- Member and guiding force in the See Seven marketing initiative for Vancouver independent theatre.
THANKS TO ALL OF OUR SUPPORTERS: