Foreign Radical 
Edinburgh Fringe First Winner 2017
FOREIGN RADICAL invites 30 participants into an intriguing theatrical game that explores security, profiling, freedom of expression, and privacy in the age of cybersurveillance. Mobile throughout the performance, the participants collaborate, compete, investigate, debate, and spy on each other.
The Foreign Radical set is divided into quadrants where participants, depending on personal and group responses to various questions posed by the game’s ‘host’, witness different perspectives on the action. They are at times divided into groups or left all alone to gather evidence from dramatic scenes and documentary media that colour their views and how they play the game.
A recipient of a Jessie Award for Critics’ Choice Innovation, Foreign Radical is an interactive, multimedia experience with multilingual elements in Farsi and Arabic. Each performance is unique in that the audience dynamic influences the outcome.
Foreign Radical was co-created by Tim Carlson, Jeremy Waller, David Mesiha, Kathleen Flaherty, Milton Lim, Aryo Khakpour, Florence Barrett and Cande Andrade. It was developed with the assistance of Playwrights Theatre Centre, The Cultch and Banff Centre, and premiered at The Cultch in 2015.
Direction by Jeremy P. Waller* & Tim Carlson
Script by Tim Carlson
Performed by Mehdi Darvish* and Marilyn Perreault*
Sound & Music by David Mesiha
Video by Cande Andrade
Lighting design by Kyla Gardiner
Dramaturgy by Kathleen Flaherty (Playwrights Theatre Centre)
Early dramaturgy by Bruce Barton (Centre for Drama, University of Toronto)
Stage Management by Heidi Quicke*
* The participation of these Artists are arranged by permission of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association under the provisions of the Dance Opera Theatre Policy.
✯✯✯✯✯ It’s a show that gets under your skin. — The Scotsman
✯✯✯✯ Theatre Conspiracy has created a boundary-pushing new work in Foreign Radical. — The Skinny
✯✯✯✯ This is a clever, provocative show. ... Foreign Radical is urgent, timely and necessary. — The List
✯✯✯✯ Relevant, provocative and disturbing. — Broadway World
✯✯✯✯ This thrilling interactive experience sticks close the soul. — A Younger Theatre
✯✯✯✯ An imaginative and entertaining piece of interactive theatre that raises serious questions without lecturing the audience. — The Reviews Hub
The line between security and tyranny has rarely been so stimulatingly debated. — The Guardian
Highly entertaining...and infinitely political. — VOIR, Quebec
Foreign Radical ... remains one of the most thought-provoking shows I have seen in a very long time. It works on multiple levels, with the most profound coming in the exploration of one’s own beliefs. — Mark Robins, Vancouver Presents
Tim Carlson introduces Foreign Radical — The Skinny
TOURING ENQUIRIES: Michael Rubenfeld at Selfconcious Productions
- High Performance Rodeo Calgary, Canada January 17 - 20, 2018
- Edinburgh Festival Fringe (UK premiere) Edinburgh, Scotland August 2 - 28, 2017
- Carrefour international de théâtre festival Quebec City, Canada June 9 & 10, 2017
- Studio 1398 Vancouver, Canada February 7 - 11, 2017
- Shadbolt Centre for the Arts Burnaby, Canada July 14 - 16, 2016
- The Cultch (world premiere) Vancouver, Canada April 7 - 25, 2015
- Banff Centre of the Arts (interdisciplinary residency) Banff, Canada February 22 - March 2, 2015
- Your Kontinent Film and Media Arts Festival (in-process) Richmond, Canada July 22 - 26, 2014
- University of Toronto (in-process) Toronto, Canada May 24 - June 3, 2014
- Black Plastic (in-process) Vancouver, Canada December 20 - 21, 2013
Supported by Canada Council for the Arts, BC Arts Council, Province of B.C., City of Vancouver Cultural Services, The Hamber Foundation, The Cultch, Playwrights Theatre Centre, Vancouver Foundation, Hawthorn Foundation, University of Toronto Centre for Drama. Theatre and Performance Studies and The Banff Centre. We acknowledge the financial support of the Province of British Columbia.