Obstructions: Save More 
Written and directed by Tim Carlson
December 1, 2012
Save More sings a song of love and redemption inthe big-box store.
Following three sold-out iterations of the Hive party series, Vancouver’s Progress Lab network of indie theatre-makers comes together to test the theory that creativity feeds on limits.
Inspired in part by The Five Obstructions by Jørgen Leth and Lars Von Trier, the core artists of each participating company will submit, a few at a time and under a cold spotlight, to a list of obstructions delivered by a shadowy emcee. The companies will then be commanded to create their next production around those limitations. The obstructions for each company have been developed in secret by their peers – a custom-designed set of obstacles that will prompt each artist to adapt to a new approach to making theatre. Their individual tendencies toward form, place, style, theme, design, period, story are exposed and obstructed, spilling the artist’s bag of tricks all over the stage and out of reach.
Progress Lab: progresslab.ca
Theatre Conspiracy’s Obstructions:
1. Cast of the piece must include at least one woman over the age of 60.
2. Theatre Conspiracy must create a romantic love story (without irony).
3. The subject matter of the piece must celebrate Walmart (without irony).
- Maria Mary Black
- Jackson Richard Newman
- Ace Jeremy Waller
- Karyzma Luisa Jojic
- Music director, guitar Belinda Bruce
- Guitar Steve Charles
- Drums Ed Goodine
- Bass Mike Kenney
- Production Stage Mgmt Stacy Sherlock
- Lighting Design Itai Erdal
- Wardrobe Florence Barrett
- Sound Ryen Froggatt
All photos by Itai Erdal