Imagine that you, your parents or grandparents, who have worked a lifetime to save for retirement and buy a home, suddenly lose it all.
A trusted friend or family member or someone in your religious community had talked you into investing your life savings.
But it was all a lie.
Former notary public Rashida Samji drew family, friends and community members into a vast web of deceit between 2003 and 2012. She pleaded guilty on fraud charges and was sentenced to six years in a federal penitentiary, while Arvin Patel, a financial planner who brought 90 clients to Samji, was found guilty of securities violations and handed a suspended sentence.
Over two hundred people in BC were ripped off in a Ponzi scheme of over $110 million. Most of the victims are retirees and a high proportion are members of the Surrey South Asian community.
Theatre Conspiracy’s new documentary show Victim Impact looks at the fallout for those affected as they got sucked into the vortex of civil and criminal trials.
Conspiracy AD Tim Carlson leads the project in association with PTC’s Kathleen Flaherty, visuals designer Milton Lim and sound designer David Mesiha who all worked together on the hit show Foreign Radical.
- Writer: Tim Carlson
- Dramaturg: Kathleen Flaherty
- Director: Jiv Parasram
- Assistant Director: Gavan Cheema
- Visuals Designer: Milton Lim
- Composer & Sound Designer: David Mesiha
- LIghting Designer: Conor Moore
- Set Designer: Joel Grinke
- Stage Manager: Yvonne Yip*
- Outreach: Gavan Cheema and Rohit Chokhani
- Associate Producer/Production Manager: Jack Paterson
- Cast: Jenn Griffin*, Nimet Kanji*, Risha Nanda*, Allan Morgan*, Munish Sharma*
The show premieres at The Cultch in Vancouver in June 2018.
* The participation of these Artists are arranged by permission of Canadian Actors’ Equity Association under the provisions of the Dance Opera Theatre Policy.